11 September 2006

five years on

Things that I remember, 11-09-01.

Listening to Simon Mayo narrate the TV pictures on FiveLive as it happened
Trying to track my mate down and eventually finding her on the end of an email, alive and well, unlike so many others
Switching off the TV, being unable to watch anymore reruns of the planes hitting and the buildings collapsing
Hearing the many stories of friends and family – one who missed their connection into Boston and hence one of the two hijacked NYC planes, one who was meant to be in a meeting on the 80-something-th floor but stayed home with a cold, one who was on a trans-Atlantic call to a colleague in the north tower as the first plane hit…
A colleague asking me why we were still planning on going to New York for Thanksgiving that November (if she didn’t know, I couldn’t explain)

Five years on. Where exactly are we now? I don’t know, but I do remember and I know many, many others do too.

No comments: