27 September 2006

causality and correlation

They’re all wrong.

I’ve yet to hear one commentator give the real reason why the delegates cheered and wept at the end of Tony's speech to conference yesterday, or as Nick Robinson puts it, “like every great showman, he left the crowd wanting more”.

As Levitt and Dubner remind us in their excellently accessible, holiday-read explanation of “real-life” economics (like there’s any other sort?), we need to understand the difference between causality and correlation.

The delegates didn’t cheer for however-many-minutes in a standing ovation because they love TB and want him to stay on for a “full third term”. They did it precisely because they know he’s going. And thus the affectionate farewell has begun…

And while we're on the speech to end all political goodbyes, what a bold and risky use of Take That’s Never Forget to walk in to! It paid off. It’s now ranks as one of those tracks I’ll never hear the same way again. like I used to think that U2’s One was a love/ hate relationship song, now I think it’s an anti-poverty anthem. Once you’ve heard it that way, you can’t unhear it.

3 comments:

Fat Roland said...

I've never heard One used in an anti-poverty context. I have, however, heard Mary J Blige make a complete hamfist of it and ruin the song forever in my mind.

I used to like Things Can Only Get Better when it came out, I was well into D*Ream. For some reason, I went of it - I can't remember why...

Fat Roland said...

*went off it*

Stupid fingers.

LauraHD said...

Think about it as if sung from the point of view of a dying African:

"Did I ask too much?
More than a lot.
You gave me nothing,
Now it's all I've got
We're one
But we're not the same
Well we
Hurt each other
Then we do it again
One love
One blood
One life
You got to do what you should
One life
With each other
Sisters
Brothers
One life
But we're not the same
We get to
Carry each other
Carry each other"

Curse Mary J - normally so good. That time, so wrong.